During the past 12 months Diversity ACT has provided assistance for LGBTIQ community members with;
- Emergency Relief food hampers during their greatest times of need including Christmas Hampers, with gifts for adults and their children (jointly with TUC*)
- assistance with resume writing
- supported clients through our own volunteer social workers
- are receiving increased on-line support referrals from a support clearinghouse
- transported community members in need, including in Goulburn
- assisted with footwear & clothing (jointly with Tuggeranong Uniting)
- provided advice and assistance to a number of people coming out as SGD
- provided advocacy & including support with housing, Centrelink & court
- attended appointments with clients
- increased the number of placements for students in Youth Work and Community Development
- provided Education & advice on LGBTIQ issues to other agencies
We also achieved key milestones:
- Feb 2019 the Rainbow Christian Alliance, Dare Cafe, Goulburn, turns Three
- In Dec 2018 we commenced a partnership assisting establishing Southside Women – a group meeting at least once a month
- July 2018 the Rainbow Christian Alliance, a joint project with Tuggeranong Uniting Church turned Three!
- Held our 2018 Wear it Purple Trivia night event for the 2 year in a row
- Provided LGBTIQ education to ACT government health workers & Telephone Crisis Supporters
- Increased Fundraising & improved public relations through our Community stalls at information Days, Sausage sizzles, Newsletter and Social Media feeds
- In 2017 we established 3 new programs, including Queer Youth Together (QYT pronounced Cute), REAL Parents and our SGD group, Platypus Paddle (currently seeking new leaders).
Awards Nominations & Achievements –
Rainbow Christian Alliance group has been nominated in the Faith Category of the 2019 Australian LGBTI Awards (Held March 2019)
Vice President Shay-Leigh Willis won the Personal Achievement Award at the 2018 Canberra Youth Citizen Awards
President Delia Quigley was awarded a 2018 Mental Health Week Michael Firestone Scholarship of $500 to assist in paying her school fees to provide free Counselling to our clients and also is the ACT Senior Volunteer of the Year 2018, having previously been awarded a ACT 2016 Volunteer certificate of recognition.
Rainbow Christian Alliance program was nominated in the ACTCOSS Community Awards in the partnership category. It was a privilege to receive a “Love your work” certificate of recognition for this amazing partnership with Tuggeranong Uniting Church!
President Delia Quigley was also a Finalist in the Lifeline Canberra ‘Women of spirit’ Awards held on the 5th of September 2016.