During the past 12 months Diversity ACT has provided assistance for LGBTIQ community members with;
- Emergency Relief food hampers during their greatest times of need including Christmas Hampers, with gifts for adults and their children (jointly with TUC*),
- assistance with resume writing & job seeking,
- supported clients through our own volunteer social worker
- are now receiving on-line support referrals from a support clearinghouse
- transported community members in need, including in Goulburn
- assisted with footwear & clothing (jointly with TUC*)
- provided advice and assistance to a number of people coming out as SGD
- provided court support
- Provide placements for Cert IV students in Youth Work and Community Development
- Provided advice on LGBTIQ issues to other agencies
We also achieved key milestones:
- In July 2015 Established the Rainbow Christian Alliance in a joint project with TUC* which was nominated in the 2016 ACTCOSS Partnership Programs award
- In Feb 2016 Established the Rainbow Christian Alliance, Dare Cafe, Goulburn
- Held IDAHOBIT and Orlando remembrance gatherings at Dare Cafe & TUC (sent support letters and prayers to Joy MCC Orlando)
- Had the Diversity Hub open for more hours @ week than in the previous 12 months
- Attended Wear it Purple event & fundraising at Attorney Generals Department
- Provided LGBTIQ education to ACT government health workers & Telephone Crisis Supporters
- Increased Fundraising & improved public relations through our Market Days
- Gained Charitable Status
We have also continued to provide access to free call Counselling telephone service via our partnership with QLife
Our goal is to continue to provide these and other services, as needed, with the assistance of our volunteers.
Awards Nominations – At the ACT 2016 Volunteer of the Year Awards – A certificate of recognition was presented to our President for all her hard work with Diversity ACT.
Our joint Rainbow Christian Alliance program was nominated in the 2016 ACTCOSS Community Awards in the partnership category. It was a privilege to receive a “Love your work” certificate of recognition for this amazing partnership with Tuggeranong Uniting Church!
Our President was also a Finalist in the Lifeline Canberra ‘Women of spirit’ Awards held on the 5th of September!
In 2017 we look forward to operating our new programs, including Queer Youth Together (QYT pronounced Cute) and taking Rainbow Christian Alliance further afield under a program called Rainbow Roads
* TUC = Tuggeranong Uniting Church