During the past 12 months Diversity ACT has provided assistance for LGBTIQ community members with;
- Emergency Relief food hampers during their greatest times of need including Christmas Hampers, with gifts for adults and their children (jointly with TUC*),
- assistance with resume writing & job seeking,
- supported clients through our own volunteer social worker
- are receiving increased on-line support referrals from a support clearinghouse
- transported community members in need, including in Goulburn
- assisted with footwear & clothing (jointly with Tuggeranong Uniting)
- provided advice and assistance to a number of people coming out as SGD
- provided advocacy & court support
- Increased the number of placements for students in Youth Work and Community Development
- Provided advice on LGBTIQ issues to other agencies
We also achieved key milestones:
- In July 2015 Established the Rainbow Christian Alliance in a joint project with Tuggeranong Uniting Church which was nominated in the 2016 ACTCOSS Partnership Programs award
- In Feb 2016 Established the Rainbow Christian Alliance, Dare Cafe, Goulburn
- Had the Diversity Hub open for more hours @ week than in the previous 12 months
- Held our own 2017 Wear it Purple Trivia night event
- Provided LGBTIQ education to ACT government health workers & Telephone Crisis Supporters
- Increased Fundraising & improved public relations through our Market Days, Sausage sizzles, Newsletter and Social Media feeds
We have also continued to provide access to a Social Worker and are working towards a greater availability of Counselling services with the assistance of our volunteers.
In 2017 we established 3 new programs, including Queer Youth Together (QYT pronounced Cute), REAL Parents and our SGD group, Platypus Paddle.
Our Rainbow Christian Alliance holds group in Canberra and Goulburn, which now also holds a study group. We are still looking to take this program further afield under a program called Rainbow Roads
Awards Nominations – At the ACT 2016 Volunteer of the Year Awards – A certificate of recognition was presented to our President for all her hard work with Diversity ACT.
Our joint Rainbow Christian Alliance program was nominated in the 2016 ACTCOSS Community Awards in the partnership category. It was a privilege to receive a “Love your work” certificate of recognition for this amazing partnership with Tuggeranong Uniting Church!
Our President was also a Finalist in the Lifeline Canberra ‘Women of spirit’ Awards held on the 5th of September 2016!
In 2018 our Youth Leader, Shay-Leigh Willis received the Personal Achievement Award at the A.C.T. Young Citizen of the Year Awards and our President Delia was totally surprised to be announced as the ACT Senior Volunteers of the Year! (She said she was surprised she is now considered a Senior and that she won!)